I believe many people will find one thing that is why m […]
I believe many people will find one thing that is why many parts of the car are made of plastic, such as the bumpers, front and rear fenders, air intake grilles, etc. that we usually know are all plastic. Some people may think that car companies are cutting corners? So there is a reason to make plastic.
Car’s plastic bumper
The bumper we usually refer to refers to the outer shell of the bumper. The reason why the outer bumper shell is made of plastic is due to its many advantages.
1. Plastic bumpers have low requirements on industrial level, which is convenient for mass production, which is conducive to cost control;
2. the plastic bumper has an energy-absorbing effect, which can reduce the damage to the pedestrian when it collides with the pedestrian;
3. Plastic bumpers have a certain degree of flexibility, which can avoid minor bumps and reduce maintenance costs such as sheet metal painting;
4. plastic bumpers are corrosion-resistant and more durable than metal bumpers;
5. Plastics are more conducive to shaping and can create a more beautiful shape. Coupled with bright car paint, the body is more fashionable.
6. the maintenance cost is low, if accidentally damaged or scratched, even if the entire bumper is replaced, it will not cost too much.
Automotive Plastic Parts
Car plastic fender
The role of the fender is very similar to that of a bumper, and it has two functions. One is to protect the wheels and parts on both sides of the body from bumps, and the other is to make the body shape more smooth and dynamic.
Nowadays, car companies use plastics instead of steel. It is precisely because of the strong plasticity of plastics that when manufacturing fenders, complicated processes such as stamping, crimping, and electrophoretic coating of steel plates can be eliminated. Beautiful fenders.
Car’s plastic air intake grille
The air intake grille is located in the front of the car. Whether it looks good or not is particularly important, because a good-looking air intake grill directly affects the shape of the front of the car. Therefore, almost all the air intake grilles on cars are made of plastic, and some also use chrome plating, which is particularly fashionable.
The function of the air intake grille is to ensure the flow of fresh air into the engine compartment, allowing the engine to take in fresh air, and at the same time to help the engine cool down, so it has to adopt an open-hole design. At the same time, when the car is driving at high speed, it is necessary to prevent rubble, flying insects, etc. from damaging or blocking the radiating water tank. Therefore, a dense hole design should be adopted to filter out rubble and flying insects.
However, if it is made of metal, not only is it difficult to make by stamping, but the finished grille will also be very heavy.
Plastic cooling fan for automobile
Early car cooling fans also used metal blades. They were strong and durable, and they were stable when rotating at high speeds.
But there are also shortcomings: the weight is large, the inertia is also large, it needs the engine to directly drive the operation, which will consume a considerable amount of engine power.
After switching to plastic blades, the inertia of the fan is smaller, and electric motors can be used, which consumes a lot less engine power, and can adapt to higher speeds, accelerate air circulation, and improve heat dissipation efficiency.
There are many applications of plastics in automobiles, such as instrument panels, lampshades, plastic fasteners, interior trim, and even fuel tanks.
In summary, compared to traditional metal parts, the advantages of plastic parts are as follows:
1. Lightweight, can reduce the weight of the vehicle and improve fuel economy;
2. Easy to shape, convenient to design and produce beautiful parts;
3. Reduce costs, plastic parts have high toughness, they can be restored to their original appearance after being bumped, and they are resistant to corrosion and oxidation, reducing maintenance costs;
4. Safety, in the event of a collision, it can better serve as a buffer to protect the safety of pedestrians;